top of page

Ask a Calgary Immigration Lawyer: Which Family Members Can Immigrate with Me?

businessmen shaking hands

At our firm of lawyers in Calgary, family sponsorship is a frequently discussed subject. Our Calgary immigration lawyers are regularly asked by clients: When I immigrate to Canada, which family members can come with me? The answer depends on a number of factors, including your immigration status and your relationship to the relative or relatives you want to bring with you. Keep on reading to learn more.

Are You Eligible to Sponsor a Relative Under the Family Sponsorship Program? You can sponsor certain relatives to come to Canada if you are:

  • A Canadian citizen;

  • A person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act; or

  • A permanent resident of Canada.

In addition, to be eligible for family sponsorship, you must be at least 18 years old and a have enough income to support any relative you want to sponsor to immigrate to Canada. This is because when you agree to sponsor, you sign an undertaking promising to give financial support for the basic needs of the people you are sponsoring, and any of their dependent children. You may meet the requirements above, but still be ineligible to sponsor a family member – for example, if you are in prison, or if you receive social assistance for reasons other than disability. To discuss whether you are eligible to sponsor a relative under the Family Sponsorship Program, contact our Calgary immigration lawyers today at 403-568-3000 or submit this online form. Which Family Members Can I Sponsor to Immigrate with Me? Assuming you are eligible to act as a sponsor, there are three types of family members you can sponsor to immigrate with you under the family sponsorship program: 1. Your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner. 2. Dependent children (if they are unmarried and under the age of 22). Note that this includes adopted children. 3. Your parents or grandparents. Note that if you come to Canada on a temporary permit, such as a study permit or work permit, you may also be able to bring certain members of your family with you for the time you are in Canada. If you would like more information about temporary permits, contact our team of immigration lawyers in Calgary. Super Visa for Parents and Grandparents The program for sponsoring a parent and grandparent is more limited than sponsorship for spouses and dependent children. Because the program for sponsoring parents and grandparents is more limited, the Government of Canada offers another option for parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents, called a “Super Visa”. If granted, a Super Visa allows your parents or grandparents to stay in Canada for up to two years at a time. It is a multi-entry visa that provides multiple entries for a period up to 10 years. Unlike the Parent and Grandparent Sponsorship Program, the Super Visa for Parents and Grandparents does not lead to permanent resident status for your parents or grandparents. What about Other Relatives? In some rare situations, it is possible to sponsor another type of relative who is not an “immediate family member” such as a brother, sister, niece, nephew, cousin, aunt or uncle. There are different requirements to be eligible to sponsor these types of relatives. If you would like to discuss the conditions that must be met for sponsorship, please get in touch with our Calgary immigration lawyers today at 403-568-3000 or submit this online form. Speak to a Calgary Immigration Lawyer about Family Sponsorship With over 28 years of legal experience, Abdul Souraya is successful lawyer in Calgary who provides a variety of immigration services, including guiding his clients through the family sponsorship process. Whether you are seeking to sponsor a spouse, dependent, parent, grandparent, or adopted child, our firm of immigration lawyers in Calgary can provide information about the application forms, fees and processing times involved, and guide you through the family sponsorship process. Our firm of immigration lawyers in Calgary can also assist you with applications for permanent residence, temporary residence, citizenship applications, immigration appeals, federal court removal, and business immigration. To speak with a Calgary immigration lawyer at Phoenix Legal, call our office today at 403-568-3000 or complete the online form. We offer services in English, French and Arabic. Virtual service is available around the world.


Leave a comment

Thanks for submitting!

bottom of page