Spousal & Parent Sponsorships



Family & SpousE Sponsorship in Calgary

Phoenix Legal provides legal assistance for spousal and family sponsorship in Calgary to help you determine if you meet those requirements. According to Citizenship & Immigration Canada, to qualify as a sponsor, you must be a Canadian citizen, a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or a permanent resident aged 18 or older with enough income to reasonably support your relative(s) once they immigrate. 

If you’re a Canadian citizen living abroad and plan to return when your relative(s) immigrates, you may still be considered eligible. You may be considered ineligible for spousal or family sponsorship if you:

  • Are in prison
  • Haven’t remained up-to-date on your alimony or child support
  • Have declared a bankruptcy and haven’t been released from it yet
  • Require social assistance but are not disabled
  • Haven’t paid back an immigration loan (or have late or missed payments on one)
  • Sponsored someone in the past and violated the sponsorship agreement


Please contact our office to learn of the new changes to the parent sponsorship stream coming in 2019.


  • Spouse, Common-Law Partner or Conjugal Partner: To be considered for a spousal sponsorship, you must provide legal proof of the marriage from the country in which the marriage occurred. A common-law partner is someone you have lived with in a marriage-like relationship for at least one year, while a conjugal partner is someone you have had a marriage-like relationship with for at least one year but you haven’t been able to live together due to extenuating circumstances. You may also be required to prove that you have a sincere, loving relationship through photos, telephone bills, print-outs from Internet messaging, gift receipts, joint travel expenses, etc.
  • Children: You may sponsor dependent, unmarried children under 22.
  • Parents/Grandparents: You may sponsor your parents and they may bring any dependent children with them (your siblings under the age of 22). You may also sponsor your grandparents.
  • Orphans: You may sponsor an orphaned sibling, nephew, niece or grandchild if they’re under 18 and are unmarried.
  • Adopted Children: You may sponsor an adopted child from another country if they’re under 18 and you intend to adopt them in Canada.
  • Other Relatives: If you have no family in Canada, you may be eligible to sponsor another type of relative, but certain conditions may apply.

Make the Sponsorship Process Less Stressful

Whether you’re planning to adopt a child or need assistance for family sponsorship in Calgary, Phoenix Legal provides you with the legal assistance to help make the sponsorship application process smoother and less stressful. 

Whether you’re seeking to sponsor a spouse, dependent, parent or adopted child, please call us today for further information regarding the application forms, fees and processing times involved.

Fax 403-568-3588

Address: 2333 18th Avenue NE #236

Calgary, AB T2E 8T6

book an appointment

Created by

Legal notice